Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Manual Update of Links in Excel 2003

Hi

Odd problem here - the option to Manually update Links is greyed
out/disabled. Thus, by default, it always automatically updates the links.

This is causing a bit of a problem for the accountant: if she makes even a
small change to a linked cell, Excel will automatically update all the links
and thus take a long time before she can carry on working with the
spreadsheet.

I've tested this myself (set up a basic spreadsheet linked to another one) -
and when I view the links, the Update Manually option is also greyed out.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the manual option is greyed out?

Thanks,

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Pete,

| Anyone have any ideas as to why the manual option is greyed out?

Probably because the source and target worksheets are open.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"pete_sa" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| Odd problem here - the option to Manually update Links is greyed
| out/disabled. Thus, by default, it always automatically updates the links.
|
| This is causing a bit of a problem for the accountant: if she makes even a
| small change to a linked cell, Excel will automatically update all the links
| and thus take a long time before she can carry on working with the
| spreadsheet.
|
| I've tested this myself (set up a basic spreadsheet linked to another one) -
| and when I view the links, the Update Manually option is also greyed out.
|
| Anyone have any ideas as to why the manual option is greyed out?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi

Thanks for the advise.

|Probably because the source and target worksheets are open.

I've tested this with:
- target only open
- target & source open

but am getting the same results. A lot of screen shots I've found on the web
show the manual option greyed out - but no info yet as to why!

Thanks,

Pete