Junebug

Default set cell margins

Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.
Gord Dibben

June

FormatCellsAlignment.

Look at the various options in "Horizontal" and "Vertical"

Top, bottom, centered, justified, right indent, left indent and a gang of
others.

Also row heights and column widths can be manipulated.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:35:28 -0800, "Junebug"
wrote:

Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.

IC

"Junebug" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long

list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.

Not too sure what you mean here. You can increase the "white space" between
rows of cells by increasing the height of the rows. Similarly you can
increase the space between columns by increasing the widtth of the columns,
however, your text will wrap to the new width, so perhaps formatting the
horizontal alignment to Left(indent) and set the number of characters to
indent may be the way to go.

Ian

David

I think what she (and I) are looking for is functionality similar in Word
Tables - I want to specify space above and below my text in the cell.
Autoheight doesn't leave enough space between rows. I can't specify a
determined height because rows in my spreadsheet have a different number of
text lines in them - one line of text I might want at 17.25, but lines with
more text in a cell need to more like 38.25.

So, is there a feature in Excel where I can specify points above and below -
cell padding, in essence.

"IC" wrote:

"Junebug" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long

list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.

Not too sure what you mean here. You can increase the "white space" between
rows of cells by increasing the height of the rows. Similarly you can
increase the space between columns by increasing the widtth of the columns,
however, your text will wrap to the new width, so perhaps formatting the
horizontal alignment to Left(indent) and set the number of characters to
indent may be the way to go.

Ian

Gord Dibben

David

Excel doen't have a cell-padding function as a full-blown word processing app
would have.

You can run this macro to insert a CR above and below the text in a cell to
give white space.

Sub Add_Pad()
Set myRange = Range(ActiveCell.Address _
& "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
For Each Cell In myRange
Cell.Value = Chr(10) & Cell.Value & Chr(10)
Cell.Rows.AutoFit
Next Cell
End Sub

Don't know how practical it would be.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"IC" wrote:

"Junebug" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long

list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.

Not too sure what you mean here. You can increase the "white space" between
rows of cells by increasing the height of the rows. Similarly you can
increase the space between columns by increasing the widtth of the columns,
however, your text will wrap to the new width, so perhaps formatting the
horizontal alignment to Left(indent) and set the number of characters to
indent may be the way to go.

Ian

David

Thanks Gord.

Can I assume that '10' stands for point size so that I can increase or
decrease as necessary?

- dmt

"IC" wrote:

"Junebug" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long
list
of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader
friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and
text, but the largest cells are text.

Not too sure what you mean here. You can increase the "white space" between
rows of cells by increasing the height of the rows. Similarly you can
increase the space between columns by increasing the widtth of the columns,
however, your text will wrap to the new width, so perhaps formatting the
horizontal alignment to Left(indent) and set the number of characters to
indent may be the way to go.

Ian

Gord Dibben

David

The CHR(10) inserts a carriage return to add a new line which would be the
same number of points as the current font in that cell.

To designate number of points of white space would take more VBA knowledge
than I am capable of providing.

Gord