red_1953

Default Can I post dynamic line charts by swapping out .cvs files???

I would like to post a number of charts on our intranet site and nightly swap
out the .csv data files driving the charts. I would like to run several cron
jobs to query number sources and simply overwrite the various .cvs files so
the data is updated nightly and the graphs/charts are dynamically updated.

The default browser is Netscape on Linux boxes. So "Add interactivity" does
not seem to be a valid option. We have NO plans to update the data from the
browser, simply recreate the .csv file nightly to repost.

We are running Excel 2002 SP3,
red_1953

Isn't this a manual thing? I want a completely automated solution. I would
like to layout the chart once, specify the labels, etc. Then each night I
would have a cron job extract new data in the same .csv format. The URL, etc
would never change once set up, the only change would be the underlying data.
This would then run unattended. Some data would be extracted from a database
or two via SQL. In the case of hourly license usage, it would be a "tail -24
Synergy.lic.log $WEBPAGE/xyz.csv". The log file is already setup with comma
delimiters so all I need is to grab the last 24 records....

thanks

bob

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

Within certain limitations, yes. But, then, wouldn't it be faster for
you to check for yourself? Create a csv file and store some data in
it. Create a xls file and add a chart using the data in the csv file
as the source.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

Tushar Mehta

Well, once you complete the setup done by hand, any changes to the CSV
file will automatically show up in the chart, won't they?

Of course, you will have to write the necessary VBScript and/or VBA to
run XL, open the CSV and XLS files (the charts will update
automatically), and export the charts to the appropriate location.

I did something similar for a pharmaceutical company recently -- well,
a bit more complicated {grin} -- and it's fully automated using a
VBScript scheduled through the Windows Scheduler.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

Within certain limitations, yes. But, then, wouldn't it be faster for
you to check for yourself? Create a csv file and store some data in
it. Create a xls file and add a chart using the data in the csv file
as the source.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

red_1953

Actaully I was hoping NOT to have to write anything. I was hopign to be lazy
and merely swap out teh .csv file and the next 'reload' things would refresh.
Reading up on Excel 2003 and XML , this may be supported if I upgrade. I just
don't wantto have to re-generate frick'n .gif images.... :-) If we can
upgrade then I guess I will have to look towards your implementation.

thanks