Doobi

Default How do I compare output data from 2 pivot tables in a graph forma.

I have a pivot table created for 2004 that shows the number of inspections we
received on a particular day of the week (ie. 5 on saturdays, 2 on
wednesdays, etc.) I am creating the same pivot table for 2005 and am looking
for a way to graph the data (bar graph) of the pivot table from 2004 to
compare with my 2005 data (ie. last year we received 5 inspections on
saturdays, this year we received xx amount on saturdays). Is this even
possible to do? I am using Office Pro 2003 and any suggestions would be
greatly accepted.
John Mansfield

Doobi,

One option is to combine the pivot tables for 2004 and 2005 into one table.
If the 2004 pivot table does not already have it, create a column called
"Year" and populate it with 2004 for each record of 2004 data. Continue the
same database and add 2005 detail after the 2004 data. This setup should
allow you to pivot comparable data by year and, as a result, you should be
able to quickly create the pivot chart.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Doobi" wrote:

I have a pivot table created for 2004 that shows the number of inspections we
received on a particular day of the week (ie. 5 on saturdays, 2 on
wednesdays, etc.) I am creating the same pivot table for 2005 and am looking
for a way to graph the data (bar graph) of the pivot table from 2004 to
compare with my 2005 data (ie. last year we received 5 inspections on
saturdays, this year we received xx amount on saturdays). Is this even
possible to do? I am using Office Pro 2003 and any suggestions would be
greatly accepted.

Jon Peltier

Just because the data comes from a pivot table, does not mean you're
limited to charting it in a pivot chart. To make a regular chart from
one or more pivot tables:

1. Select an empty cell away from the Pivot Table.
2. Click the Chart Wizard button on the toolbar, or select Chart from
the Insert menu.
3. Proceed with the Chart Wizard, and add your data one series at a time
on the Series tab.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP