John M

Default Area Chart Question

Hello,

I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers. Is there a way to show
the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
having the totals appear on the area graph itself?

John
John Mansfield

John,

Unfortunately the data tables are not going to give you a lot of
flexibility. Whatever is in the chart is going to show up on the data table.
To get around this restriction, I would suggest creating a data table made
of worksheet cells as opposed to using the standard data table. The link
below describes the process:

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...n_data_tables/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"John M" wrote:

Hello,

I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers. Is there a way to show
the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
having the totals appear on the area graph itself?

John

Jon Peltier

John -

You can format the totals series to be invisible: Double click on it,
Patterns tab, None for Area and Border.

The Y axis will behave nicer if you change the series to a line series
first: Select the series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and
pick out a line chart style. Now format this to be invisible: Double
click, Patterns tab, None for Marker and for Line.

This said, you may not care for the chart with a data table, since it
forces the ends of the area segments off the ends of the chart, leaving
an unsightly gap at either side. John's suggested approach is a decent
alternative, and Tushar Mehta has some additional suggestions for data
tables on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP