LilaDuncan

Default Drop down list question

Please can anyone help me with this query?

When I came to make a drop down list for data entry in a cell, I used
the method:
Select cellMenu
BarDataValidationAllow:ListSource:Yes,No,Undec ided.

When I went to the origial workbook I was using for an example and go
to: Select cellMenu BarDataValidationAllow:ListSource: The source
field shows: =Choices.

The only cell in the 3 sheet example workbook showing the entry:
Choices, is the heading of the column where the drop down
"Yes,No,Undecided" cells are located. There is no text defining the
Yes,No,Undecided list choices there.
How would go about finding the place in the workbook where this
information is kept?

TIA
Lila

JulieD

Hi

have a look under
insert / name / define on the menu
it sounds as though "choices" has been defined as a "range name"

Cheers
JulieD

"LilaDuncan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Please can anyone help me with this query?

When I came to make a drop down list for data entry in a cell, I used
the method:
Select cellMenu
BarDataValidationAllow:ListSource:Yes,No,Undec ided.

When I went to the origial workbook I was using for an example and go
to: Select cellMenu BarDataValidationAllow:ListSource: The source
field shows: =Choices.

The only cell in the 3 sheet example workbook showing the entry:
Choices, is the heading of the column where the drop down
"Yes,No,Undecided" cells are located. There is no text defining the
Yes,No,Undecided list choices there.
How would go about finding the place in the workbook where this
information is kept?

TIA
Lila

LilaDuncan

JulieD wrote:
Hi

have a look under
insert / name / define on the menu
it sounds as though "choices" has been defined as a "range name"

Thanks for the help Julie.
I looked at 'Define' in the menus and you're right, 'Choices' is in the
list.
Even then, there is still no "Yes,No,Undecided" list options attached
to this 'Name'. It's yet more code: ='R'!$M$2:$P$2.

My limited understanding tells me I could've set this Validation List
to include the "Yes,No,Undecided" options at the first stage of the
list defining process. There must be some practical reason why the
original author chose the long and complex route. I'm lucky to have the
opportunity to learn these more complex processes by trying to adapt
and update the original file, so I'll soldier on with it.

Regards and best wishes,

Lila

[...]

LilaDuncan

Hi Peo,
thanks for asking.
Some of my Excel learning I can do at home. Fortunately, I can
currently do quite a lot of it at work too, as long as I keep it
confined to what the boss considers useful. We discussed whether I
should work on developing new customer service spreadsheets from
scratch, or alternatively, update and modify some existing ones. The
boss seems to think that there's most to be gained from utilizing the
existing ones. I'm just happy to be able to learn Excel on the job. :-)
I'm a little more out of my depth than I would be if I was allowed to
keep it simple (and probably limited) by starting afresh. This way I'm
being forced to consider more complex structures than I would care to
at my current level of ability but I am learning bit by bit, so it 's
very useful.

Regards and best wishes,

Lila

Debra Dalgleish

Often, the lookup lists are entered in named ranges on the worksheet to
make them easier to edit.

For example, you might have many cells on the worksheet that have the
Yes,No,Undecided options. Perhaps someone asks you to change the options
to Ye,No,Undecided,N/A.

If the options are listed in the data validation box, you'd have to
select all the cells, and change the list. It would be possible to
overlook one or more of the cells.

If the options are in a named range in the workbook, you could simply
make the change there, and it would be immediately changed in all the
data validation cells that refer to that list.

LilaDuncan wrote:
JulieD wrote:

[...]

groups.com...

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

LilaDuncan

Hi Debra,
It's so obvious and clearly useful once explained. Many thanks for
doing that.
Regards and best wishes,
Lila