Joe E via OfficeKB.com

Default open multiple excel spreadsheets in separate windows by default

If i open an Excel file by double clicking it and then open another by
double clicking it too, both excel files end up in the same window by
default. I want each one to open in its own Excel window by default when i
double click them so i have a separate button on my taskbar for each. The
obvious work around is to open an instance of Excel first for each file,
then browse through excel to open each file, but that's more time
consuming. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get each excel file to
open in its own window when i double click them. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Gord Dibben

Joe

Newer versions of Excel from 2000 onwards have an option.

ToolsOptionsViewWindows in Taskbar. Check it on.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:19:08 GMT, "Joe E via OfficeKB.com"
wrote:

If i open an Excel file by double clicking it and then open another by
double clicking it too, both excel files end up in the same window by
default. I want each one to open in its own Excel window by default when i
double click them so i have a separate button on my taskbar for each. The
obvious work around is to open an instance of Excel first for each file,
then browse through excel to open each file, but that's more time
consuming. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get each excel file to
open in its own window when i double click them. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe E via OfficeKB.com

Gord,

That solution almost gives me what I want. It does in fact give each excel
file its own button in my windows taskbar, but they do not each have their
own window. They all map the same single window. I want to have a
separate window for each spreadsheet because I have two monitors and I
often need to have a different spreadsheet displayed on each monitor. Any
more thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

debsumrall

Select File Open from the menu bar. Click the first workbook to open, then
shift+click each of the other files to open. Click the Open button in the
dialog. Each workbook will be in it's own window.