tim

Default X=y will not cross 0,0 why

On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0
why???
Andy Pope

Hi tim,

Possible you are using Line chart instead of XY Scatter?
To change right click and select Chart Type, pick xy scatter.

Where does the line cross when x=0 and y=0?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
timcroot

Hi Andy
I seleected the simple chart to show a friend how easy it was and the line
crosses the axis at .5,-.5. the line markers at the ends report 0,0 but the
line isnt at these points????

How do I explain this to a new charter??
Tim

tim wrote:
On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0
why???

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

tim croot

data used was x=0 y=0, x=5 y=5

the chart was a simple line chart
tim

"Andy Pope" wrote:

what data did you use?

tim wrote:

On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0
why???

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

Sorry tim, I can not create a chart with the data that doesn't produce
results as expected :(

If you want to email me chart directly I will take a look.

Or maybe somebody else has an idea why you chart is mis-behaving.

Cheers
Andy

tim croot wrote:
data used was x=0 y=0, x=5 y=5

the chart was a simple line chart
tim

"Andy Pope" wrote:

what data did you use?

tim wrote:

On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0
why???

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Andy Pope

The problem was using Line instead of xyscatter in conjunction with the
underlying data being numeric.
Excel was simply trying to do its best to understand your data in the
context of the requested chart. Using all the data to create 2 series
and generating its own numeric category labels.

Some further reading that may help you make more sense of charts & data.

Cheers
Andy

tim croot wrote:

data used was x=0 y=0, x=5 y=5