Ronald_L

Default Field Character Changes

I have a row of approx 3000 names that are in all uppercase. The are in the
format of FirstName LastName. How can I set a formula to leave only the
first character of the first and last name in uppercase and the rest
lowercase. Such as John Doe instead of JOHN DOE.
Paul B

Ronald, use the proper function, like this, =PROPER(A1) than you can copy
and paste special valves back over you data
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ronald_L" wrote in message
I have a row of approx 3000 names that are in all uppercase. The are in
the
format of FirstName LastName. How can I set a formula to leave only the
first character of the first and last name in uppercase and the rest
lowercase. Such as John Doe instead of JOHN DOE.

Gord Dibben

Ronald

Note on PROPER() Function.

If you have names with Mc or Mac or like van der Meer PROPER() won't do the
trick.

You will wind up with Mcdonald or Van Der Meer.

David McRitchie has VBA code that will look after many of these.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP