Lin

Default Import comma delimited text

Hello,
When I import my comma delimited file, the Text Import Wizard starts up.
Using this wizard, Excel defaults the Data Format to "General". I want to
use "Text" Data Format.

Although the wizard allows me to change the Data Format column-by-column, it
is tedious to do so. Is there a way to change all columns' Data Format at
the same time? Or, to set the Text Import Wizard's default to a "Text" Data
Format?

Or, maybe there is another way to import data - I am not a super user, so I
like using the wizard.

Thanks for your help.
Frank Kabel

Hi
you could record a macro while doing this manually and use this macro
afterwards

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Lin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello,
When I import my comma delimited file, the Text Import Wizard starts

up.
Using this wizard, Excel defaults the Data Format to "General". I

want to
use "Text" Data Format.

Although the wizard allows me to change the Data Format

column-by-column, it
is tedious to do so. Is there a way to change all columns' Data

Format at
the same time? Or, to set the Text Import Wizard's default to a

"Text" Data
Format?

Or, maybe there is another way to import data - I am not a super

user, so I
like using the wizard.

Thanks for your help.

Earl Kiosterud

Lin,

The ways you can read a text file in Excel varies with the version. Take a
look at www.smokeylake.com/excel. Read up on Text files.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Lin" wrote in message
Hello,
When I import my comma delimited file, the Text Import Wizard starts up.
Using this wizard, Excel defaults the Data Format to "General". I want to
use "Text" Data Format.

Although the wizard allows me to change the Data Format column-by-column,
it
is tedious to do so. Is there a way to change all columns' Data Format at
the same time? Or, to set the Text Import Wizard's default to a "Text"
Data
Format?

Or, maybe there is another way to import data - I am not a super user, so
like using the wizard.

Thanks for your help.

Junior Member

I usually use TextConverter. While you can't set the type for all columns at once, you can set up the project just once so that, when you perform imports, you don't have to re-set up the columns...