Confused

Default constants

How to you keep a number constant in a formula on the next cell?

Example:
Formula on line A5
=sum(A1*20)
and I want the 20 to remain the same in the formula on the next cell.

Thanks!
Frank Kabel

Hi
try
=$A$1*20

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Confused" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
How to you keep a number constant in a formula on the next cell?

Example:
Formula on line A5
=sum(A1*20)
and I want the 20 to remain the same in the formula on the next

cell.

Thanks!

JulieD

Hi

just a note, no need for the word SUM (which means "add up)
=A1*20
will work for you
and if you are typing the 20 directly into the formula it will stay as 20
when you drag down - it doesn't change (at least not that i've ever come
across)
however, if the 20 is in a cell (e.g. B1) and you're using the reference in
the formula e.g.
=A1*B1
and you want the next row's formula to be
=A2*B1
then change the first formula to
=A1*$B$1

Cheers
JulieD

"Confused" wrote in message
How to you keep a number constant in a formula on the next cell?

Example:
Formula on line A5
=sum(A1*20)
and I want the 20 to remain the same in the formula on the next cell.

Thanks!

JE McGimpsey

First, your SUM() is superfluous - it returns the same value as

=A1*20

Next, to keep the 20 the same, just copy/drag the formula to the "next"
cell. XL doesn't update constants in formulae.